5 Tips for Making the Best Iced Coffee at Home
Making the best iced coffee at home is easy, trust us! A favorite way to cool down and wake up, iced coffee is a staple in our office during Seattle summers.
There’s nothing better than slowly sipping a creamy, iced coffee
in the summer sun. A favorite way to cool down and wake up, iced coffee is a staple in our office as the Seattle summers (surprisingly) only get hotter.
Making Iced Coffee at Home is Easy, Trust Us
Nowadays, there are many ways to make an iced cold coffee drink at home. However, we have recently taken a liking to the flash brew method. If you’re not familiar, flash brew iced coffee is a simple pour-over done directly over ice. Unlike other methods, flash brew captures the entrancing smells and tastes of coffee that you get when you brew a hot cup of coffee. It is also stops coffee from going stale or oxidizing: both which hinder the taste.
People who love the nuances of hot coffee and those who drink their coffee black will gravitate towards flash brew for keeping the same profile of a hot cup of coffee while adding that extra oomph. Here are a few tricks to getting the perfect iced coffee, flash brew-style:
Choosing the Perfect Iced Coffee
- Use a full-bodied coffee to avoid tartness
- For an iced coffee with a sweet, creamy, and/or chocolate flavor profile, go with a roast from Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, and Honduras. Think cream soda on the rocks!
- For a refreshing tea-like iced coffee with fruit notes go with an Ethiopian or Kenyan roast. The fruit flavors will pop on ice.
- If you have a scale, use it!
Quick & Easy Flash Brew Iced Coffee Recipe
– One 1.8 oz. Bean Box
– 2 1/3 cups (18.4 oz) of water
– 1 1/3 (10.4 oz) cups of ice
Brew using your normal brewing equipment, but using the above amounts. Brew the hot coffee directly onto the ice.
For the coffee geeks among you, the recipe basically uses the same 16-1 water-to-coffee ratio we recommend for brewing, but split between the water and the ice roughly 50/50. Grind a bit finer than usual. Enjoy!